Considerations for Correctional Floors
- Will the finish be installed while in use? (A correctional facility had a bare concrete platform in the kitchen beneath some cooking pots that was degrading. There was only a period of 6 hours per day that they were not in use and they were constantly wet.)
- Floors with a high sheen have positive psychological impact on occupants encouraging more respect for the facility
- Higher reflectivity helps improve visibility and ambient lighting.
- Chemical stripping and waxing of resilient floors may introduce substances into the population that are not desirable as well as increasing maintenance costs.
- When specifying resinous systems, it is imperative to consider slab finishing techniques, surface prep, transitions, and crack, joint, drain and termination detail.