- High performance backing should be used for increased durability.
- Carpet tiles are recommended for ease of installation and replacement.
- Solution dyed yarns will offer better resistance to cleaning chemicals and bleach.
- Tiered rooms (like auditoriums) are typically better suited to broadloom.
- Nosing on stairs can help increase life as well as contrasting stair edges.
- Some health experts recommend hard surface flooring in classrooms with area rugs (that can be removed and cleaned) for seating and acoustic reduction.